Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Top 10 Repetitive Books for Speech and Language Therapy

I am a big proponent of using books in therapy.  Literacy has been a big push recently, and I am a firm believer that you can use books to target ANY goal in therapy.   Today's topic is about books--more specifically about repetitive books.



Repetitive books have many benefits.  They encourage participation from all students or clients.  They are perfect for individual sessions and group sessions.  They have a pattern, so they are easier for children to pick up on and thus participate more.  I ask my clients to repeat those lines with me.  I will model the line a couple of times, say "Say it with me," a few times, and then just pause the next couple of times to see if one or more of them will fill in the gap.

I also use repetitive books with my clients who use AAC devices.  This allows them to participate as well.  I do similar things as I mentioned above.  This helps encourage vocabulary, language development, and allows them to explore various folders on their devices.

For articulation sessions, I choose books that have repetitive words or phrases that contain my clients' sounds.  For example, if I have a child working on CH, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is perfect.

Here are my top ten repetitive books for use in therapy (in no particular order):

1. Brown Bear, Brown Bear by Bill Martin Jr. and Eric Carle


2. We're Going on a Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen and Helen Oxenbury



3. Any of the There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed a ___ books



4. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr. and John Archambault


 

5. Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown



6. Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed by Eileen Christelow



7. Dear Zoo by Rod Campbell


8. Are You My Mother? by. P. D. Eastman


9. Polar Bear, Polar Bear by Bill Martin Jr. and Eric Carle


10.  Rosie's Walk by Pat Hutchins



What are your favorite repetitive books to use in therapy?




post signature

No comments :

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover